Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 36 - June 20

Recovery Day

Today wasn't too eventful - we just visited the massive Great Market Hall, where I tried a sweet version of Hungarian Langos.  We then walked to the top of Gellert Hill, where the Hungarian version of the Statue of Liberty stands, and then we went to a mass in the cave church under the hill (Going to a service in the cave church is the best way to experience it and the only way to visit it for free).  The Buda side of Budapest is very hilly and full of massive underground cave complexes.  Caving is a very popular and recommended activity in Budapest, one that we missed out on but one that I'll certainly do if I come back someday.

On my last night in Budapest, I went to the Backpacker's Pub Crawl again (if you do it once, you can do it for free every night for the rest of the year  ...so long as you can manage to keep wearing your orange paper wristband).  Curtis stayed in the hostel and slept (He requires a lot more sleep than I do) which is what I should have done too because I left the pub crawl very early due to an upset stomach (probably the Hugarian Langos).


Dessert version of Langos

Great Market Hall

Great Market Hall

Liberty Bridge

Hungarian Statue of Liberty - she's holding a palm branch

Statue near the Liberty statue

View of Budapest from the top of Gellert Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment