Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 31 - June 15

Distance:  1.0 miles running (1.6 km), 0.7 miles swimming (1.1 km)

We started the day by walking the 1 to 2 miles to the end of the lake closest to the island.  There, I swam a quarter mile to the island with the church on it.  They have boats that take people to the island, but it's much better to swim.  You get the best view of the island from the water, the water's warm (well, not cold), and it's free unlike the boats!  The only downside is not being able to go into the church when you're shirtless and soaking wet... and also the huge, mildly aggressive (but harmless) fish that inhabit the lake and brush up against swimmers, nearly giving them heart attacks (This didn't happen to me, but I'd heard stories).  After finally reaching the island and pulling myself out of the water and onto the boat dock, I dried off in the sun, talked to some Slovenian dudes who had also swam over, and then climbed the 99 steps to the top of the island and up to the church.  Curtis had chosen  to take the boat over, and he brought my phone and a shirt over so I was able to go up to the church and take some pictures, but I didn't go inside (that costs money).  After making the swim back, we walked around the other side of the lake and back to the hostel.

Later in the day, I went for another quick swim before going to mass in the town's church.  I had to walk over a mile to get to the spot to where you could swim for free, so I jogged part of the way.  The swelling in my ankle is stiil there but I'm not sure slow running is any worse than fast walking.

The rest of the evening was spent in the hostel getting some things done on the computer, watching some of the world cup, and making plans for getting to Budapest.

Anyway, I'd have some pictures from today, but they seem to have disappeared. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment