Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 25 - June 9

Recovery Day

Today was essentially a travel day.  We're off to Plitvice Lakes National Park, which is about a 5-6 hour bus ride north of Split, in the forested interior of Croatia.  On the way, we made a 3-hour pit-stop in Trogir, a smaller town just north of Split with typically picturesque medieval streets. Tonight, we just relaxed in our cheap but very comfortable bed and breakfast near Plitvice Lakes.  I'll tell you all about the park after we visit it tomorrow.

Anyway, you may have noticed that I cut off the "800 miles in 80 days or less" part from my blog title.  I'm officially recognizing the fact that I'm officially injured and will officially be unable to complete the goal I set out when I started this trip.  It's official.  I did a little research online and found that I probably have Achilles Tendonopathy (aka Achilles Tendonitis).  I also read that one is strongly discouraged from running so long as the swelling is still there.  Bummer.  I'm quite lucky, though, to be honest.  For one, it doesn't hurt when I'm just walking around - only when I overuse it or go downhill a lot - and two, it's happened at one of the best possible times.  Sure, it stinks not being able to run in really cool places on a trip that I planned specifically with a running focus, but I'm just thankful that it's happening now and not at any other time over the past 10 years.  Now that I'm graduated and done with cross country and track, I'm not training for anything big, and, most importantly, I don't have a team counting on me.  I've been incredibly blessed... impossibly blessed ...to be healthy through all my years of cross country and track from junior high to college.  I've seen so many teammates with injuries of all kinds and degrees, and I've seen them all grow as athletes and as people as they overcome that adversity.  If I ever get really bummed about not being able to run through a really cool park or on an awesome trail while I'm on this trip, I'll remember the perseverance of those teammates and realize how ubelievably blessed I am that I never had to deal with the feeling of not being able to run for my team, for my school, for my family, for my God.   Or better yet, I'll remember how blessed I am to even have the ability to run in the first place.  We take so much for granted!

So yes, I'll avoid running for a while now, though I might have to throw in a few easy miles here and there or I'll go insane.  I'm not expecting my Achilles to fully heal on this trip: no matter how much I try to rest it, I'll still have to be doing a ton of walking.  I might as well make that walking go by faster and just jog it if it's short and not much downhill.  I'll also bike and swim as much as possible, and I'll continue to blog about what I do and see in the process, so stay tuned!


Bell tower in Trogir

Medieval Street in Trogir

Trogir

Castle in Trogir





No comments:

Post a Comment