Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 30 - June 14


Distance: 22.0 miles biking (35.4 km)

We rented bikes in the late morning and took them for a lap around the lake and then through the villages in the area surrounding Lake Bled.  We started by heading up the hill (everywhere we went was uphill, it seemed) to the villages above Vintgar Gorge.  After about 5 miles or so (total guess) it was looking like it might rain and Curtis turned back but I didn't care about getting wet so I kept going.  I ended up riding along a stream into Triglav National Park for a couple miles (Triglav contains Slovenia's highest mountains, which I will have to come back to someday to climb).  I then made a wide circle around Lake Bled, traveling through the hills and villages within a few miles of its shores.  By the end of the afternoon, I had ridden about 22 miles (calculated afterward with Google Maps).  Given that most of it was going up and down huge, steep hills, my legs were quite tired.  I really, really needed a good workout though.  The biking allowed me to do that without putting stress on my Achilles.  It was an unbelievably beautiful ride with perfect weather - the rain held off until about 10 minutes after I got back to the hostel.  It was really nice to get out and travel a long distance through the countryside again.  It hasn't even been a week since I (almost) stopped running, and I've been longing to go out and explore places on foot.  Biking provided a decent substitute, but one that makes your bum hurt a lot more!


Church on the island and Bled Castle in the distance

Probably the first and only picture of Curtis I have taken or will take on this trip - he doesn't like being in pictures, and I don't take a lot of pictures with people in them

Typical scene in Slovenia


They really like churches with red roofs!

Waterfall


Biking in Triglav National Park

Relatively clear I'd say



Horse drawn cart - how the Slovenes get around - jk






No comments:

Post a Comment