Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 40 – June 24


Distance: 1.5 miles

This morning I paid a visit to an old friend.  His name is Ludwig… Ludwig van Beethoven.  I met him on a stroll through Vienna’s Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery).  I was pleased to see that he was accompanied by his friends Franz Shubert, Joseph Strauss I, Johannes Brahms, among others.  I had taken the U3 out to its last stop and jogged the rest of the way out to the cemetery, which lies on the outskirts of the city and is absolutely massive.  It’s nearly a square mile (2.4 square kilometers) and more people are buried here than any other cemetery in Europe.  It even has its own bus line! The central “avenue” of the cemetery is lined with the “Ehrengräber,” or honorary graves – graves of famous composers, poets, authors, political figures, and generally anyone the city deemed important.  I came to see the composers and the old Jewish section of the cemetery, which has an eerie sort of beauty to it. 

Beethoven's grave
Memorial to Mozart - he's buried at nearby St. Marx cemetery
Brahms
Johann Strauss II's grave

Church in the middle of the cemetery

Jewish Cemetery

Jewish Cemetery



After a couple hours exploring the cemetery, I went back to the hostel to meet up with Curtis (he had gone to the Schönbrunn Palace Gardens while I went to the cemetery) before leaving to catch our Student Agency bus to Prague.  We pulled into Prague around 10:30pm and simply took the metro to our hostel, which happened to be at the end of Wenceslas Square.  We’ll be here for a couple nights before my parents and sister fly in on the 26th.






No comments:

Post a Comment