Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 2 - May 17

Distance: 8.1 miles (13.0 km)

I slept surprisingly well in Heathrow Airport, though not long enough - only about 4 hours before we had to get up and check in for our flight.  When we landed in Dusseldorf, Fabian and Laura were waiting for us at the airport.  It was so great to see some familiar faces!  Shortly after getting to their apartment, I did my run for the day.  I ran mostly on the west bank of the Rhine River, since the east bank (where the city center is) was jam-packed with people at the Japanese festival.  The west bank is basically a wide open grassy field with paths cut through it, so it was great for running.

After I ran and took a glorious, much-needed shower, we ate and went to the Japanese Festival, which is more of an anime/cosplay gathering, with thousands of people dressed as their favorite characters from anime cartoons.  Anime's not my thing, but it sure was an interesting sight!  Fabian and Laura also took us through the Altstadt and showed us the main sights of the city.  Unfortunately I was too tired to really enjoy the city, but the Dutch french fries (frites) I had were spectacular.

The fireworks for Dusseldorf's Japanese festival are pretty impressive... or so I hear.  Around 8 or 9 I think, Curtis and I crashed for a "nap."  I didn't wake up for another 13 hours - Curtis about 16.  It was worth every minute.

Media Harbor

Frank Gehry buildings and TV Tower

TV Tower

Crowds arriving for the Japanese festival on the riverfront

Grassy fields on the west bank of the Rhine

West bank of Rhine

Japan Day crowds

TV Tower and North Rhine-Westphalia Congress building

Stadttor (City Gate)

Koenigsallee (Dusseldorf's famous shopping street) and sexy lady advertisement

Big mall (Fabian says Dusseldorf is known as the "shopping mall of Germany")

Frank Gehry building

Frank Gehry building

Frank Gehry buildings


No comments:

Post a Comment